I’m here to remind you, you matter. Your baby matters.
Hi there beautiful human,
As your doula, I will give you the gift of my presence and my deep listening ears. I am generous with my time, my wisdom, my heart, my humour and my comforting hands.
Together we will prepare for your birth and the monumental months after baby arrives, but not in the ways you might think. Sure, a birth plan is a great idea, and freezing some meals for the fourth trimester is a head start, but if you don’t feel confident in yourself, your body, your breath, your voice, your human rights, your baby’s rights, those things won’t matter.
I’m here to remind you, you matter. Your baby matters.
I won’t make any promises about what your birth is going to look like, because that’s the beauty of birth. It’s unpredictable, it’s uncontrollable, and it’s perfectly designed this way to initiate you into motherhood, which is wild and wonderful all the same.
We will make plans, I promise, but we will also focus on releasing anxiety, relaxing into your body, trusting yourself and your baby and then letting go. Setting intentions and not being fixated on the outcome. Because birth is transformational, however it transpires.
I am 100% in your corner throughout your pregnancy, birth and the tender time after you bring your baby home, nurturing you while you keep another human-being alive with your body and your breasts.
During your postpartum experience, you will be able to safely express your full feelings and fears with me, however small or surreal they may seem. I want you to know it’s okay to feel sad, rageful, joyful, devastated and blissed out beyond belief during this huge transition. It’s okay to feel it all in the one day, hell, even in the same hour!
It’s always more freeing and fun when you go on a rollercoaster with friends, right? So as you take that bumpy ride from maiden to mother, I’ll be with you, cheering you on, caring for you, loving you up and making you laugh.
I will remind you at each challenging moment of your new motherhood journey (whether it’s your first or fourth baby), just how capable and cherished you really are.
Motherhood Metamorphosis Support
I am Dynamo Doula here to radically support you on your motherhood metamorphosis. Below you can read about some of the ways I will care for you throughout your pregnancy to parenthood rite of passage.
PREGNANCY LOVE AND SUPPORT
Do you currently feel overwhelmed or disconnected from your pregnancy?
Are you waiting for endless appointments and meeting a different face every single time?
Do you crave a deeper conversation than what your baby’s “due date” is, or what genitals they happen to have?
Are you fearful about the unknown of birth and don’t know where to begin?
If you answered yes to any of the above, I want to change that for you.
Instead of googling and receiving information overload, you’ll get tailored resources from me.
Instead of crying alone when you’re feeling anxious about all of your body and mind changes, we can talk and cry together.
Want to complain in a safe space? Please, go right ahead, nothing you say will shock me.
Want to laugh, shout and then sob happy tears because you are so excited? I am here for it all and I will definitely sob along with you.
On top of ongoing phone and text connection, we will meet in person several times during your pregnancy to get to know each other, build trust, do incredibly deep work, plan for your birth and have lots of fun.
I am going to see you naked during your birth both physically and emotionally. You will be the most stripped back version of yourself, vulnerable, yet so damn powerful. It’s important we develop a close relationship with each other so that you have full faith in me.
SOME OF THE THINGS WE WILL COVER IN OUR PREGNANCY SESSIONS;
- How to choose a care-model and care-provider based on your dream birth and unique needs
- Childbirth education that is actually interesting and relevant to you and your partner (we’ll cover the physiology and psychology of birth, and more)
- What comfort measures and coping strategies you can use during labour for pain relief
- Birth planning that focuses on the physical, emotional and spiritual elements, as well as what you personally need to feel empowered no matter what happens
- How birth can be pleasurable, enjoyable and even psychedelic
- How to navigate the realities of a medicalised maternal health care system, understanding what your rights are, the risks vs benefits in decision making, how to advocate for yourself and your baby.
- Planning for your fourth trimester, setting you up with realistic expectations of newborn care and your own healing, as well as preparing to breastfeed
- Debriefing any previous pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding or postpartum experiences, especially if there is trauma
BIRTH LOVE AND SUPPORT
Close your eyes and imagine your dream birth.
Go on, take some big belly breaths and let your mind wander.
Now picture me there with you.
I will morph into whatever you need me to be and do, depending on how you are feeling during your labour.
I can’t give you an exact list of all the ways I will love you during your birth, because it’s going to change for each woman, moment to moment, every single time.
What I can tell you is that I am a quiet and steady presence. I’m gentle, but fierce when I need to be.
In a hospital setting, your wonderful midwife (who you probably won’t have met before) will come in and out of the room every few hours as they attend to other women and complete their paperwork. I will be there by your side, fully present to your needs, emotionally traffic controlling the space and worshipping you like the goddess you are.
Reminding you to trust yourself. Trust your body. Trust your baby.
WHAT MY BIRTH SUPPORT CAN LOOK LIKE;
- I may suggest that you try different positions, vocalise, dance or breathe to move your baby down, or I might be a silent witness as I watch you instinctively find your own rhythm and ritual
- I might offer techniques to relieve discomfort or I may guide you to lean all the way into the pain to come out the other side in pleasure
- I may coach you through each surge, or I could be as quiet as a mouse, knowing you are deep in the work and require stillness in the room
- I might provide comforting touch and massage or I could be completely hands off
I won’t actually know what you will need from me until we are there, crossing that threshold, in labour-land together.
What I want for you more than anything, is to birth in your power.
POSTPARTUM LOVE AND SUPPORT
Postpartum is a time of repairing, unravelling and rebirthing, and it requires much more support than most people plan for.
Too many women are starting their motherhood experience feeling isolated, overwhelmed, depressed and angry. I often hear women say “no one prepared me for this”, so I am making it my mission to change the conversation.
The fourth trimester is a tender, yet transformational time and this experience can have a huge impact on whether families flourish in the long term. A compassionately supported postpartum period can influence the ability of a mother and baby to deeply bond and attach, for breastfeeding to work well, and for partners to stay intimately connected.
The first year of your baby’s life is probably not the best time to start a new hobby or renovate your home. To bounce your body back (whatever that means). This sacred window of postpartum is an opportunity to be bold and brave with your boundaries, and to rebirth yourself.
We live in a capitalist society that tells parents they need to invest in stuff. The fancy cot, the expensive pram, the cute onesies. I call bullshit. SUPPORT is what all new mothers need.
I am here to look after YOU. To love you. To help you rest and recover, so you can do all of the things for your baby.
I won’t lie, caring for a newborn can be challenging. You are learning an entire new skill set completely on the job. The conditions aren’t optimal either, with a lack of sleep and a recovering body that doesn’t quite feel like your own. I’ll be there to encourage you and cheer you on.
Postpartum time will also be amazing. You’ll soften, becoming more vulnerable than ever. You are so open to love and overflowing with oxytocin. You’ll be overwhelmed and over the moon, but with me as your doula it will all feel more manageable.
Our phone and text connection continues, so you can avoid googling incessantly like everyone else does. I am here to answer any questions you have, but also to remind you of how much you already know deep within.
During my home-visits I will always bring food, empathy, compassion and humour. There will be crying, laughing, hugging, foot and neck rubs, house-cleaning, bath-running, baby-holding, attention and affection, delicious food, getting you out of the house for a walk and some sunshine, there’s no set prescription here. I will bring whatever medicine you need at the time.
SOME OF THE THINGS THAT CAN HAPPEN DURING A POSTPARTUM VISIT;
- A focus on rest and comfort, I will nurture and nourish you so you can nurture and nourish your baby
- Eating home-cooked meals, connecting over conversation and cups of tea
- Reassurance and guidance on infant care and how to tap into your instinct and intuition
- Breastfeeding and baby-wearing support
- Gentle sleep and settling advice including how to safely bedshare so you can sleep while breastfeeding
- Debriefing your birth experience through talking, writing, creative expression and movement
- House cleaning and running errands, childminding for older children
Ready to take the next step?
Deep conversations light you up and turn you on? Do you want to lean all the way into this experience, even if it scares the shit out of you? Amazing. I can't wait to hear from you. Enter your details below and I'll send you my current packages and pricing. You'll also be subscribed to my love letters I send from time to time, don't worry though you can opt out at anytime!
I live and work in Wollongong, on Yuin & Dharawal Country. I sincerely pay my respects to the Wadi Wadi people and their Elders past, present and emerging. This always was, and always will be Aboriginal land.
All images by Serina Crinis. Web design by Kate Young Designs. Copyright 2019 Rachael Rose